Friday, January 19, 2007

Uphill both ways

One of Ben's Christmas gifts this year was an Adams Trail-A-Bike.


The Trek trailer we picked up a few years ago has been great for hauling both boys together, but it's also proved to be my most sensitive gauge of how quickly they're growing. I swear every time we went for a ride, they'd gotten heavier. A couple of hills out near the beltway actually had me in my lowest gear, which I don't think I'd ever even used before. I felt like a pansy until I did some mental calculations and realized I was hauling nearly 100 extra pounds back there. That's more than an entire Olsen twin! At least after the evening purge, that is.

Sharing the burden of child-towing with Sarah has been a double-edged sword. While I rejoice in how easy it feels with just one deadweight kid slowing me down, Sarah finally appreciates why I was so frustratingly slow sometimes. Now she's the one playing catch-up. Besides the added weight, the one disadvantage of the Trail-A-Bike versus a trailer is that kids' tendency to wiggle is far more noticeable on a single wheel. At one point last weekend Ben threw the two of them off-balance so often I started to wonder if I could make it home by attaching the Trail-A-Bike to my seat post, and the trailer to the Trail-A-Bike. I'd be like one of those extended trucks on the Ohio Turnpike, undulating as I hurtled along and striking fear into anyone wanting to pass. Might make for a good YouTube video, come to think of it.

In other news, Ben has been making quick progress in reading. He's halfway through his first level of phonics books already, allowing him to tell about the tan fat cat all by himself. At this rate, I figure he'll be blogging by first grade.

No comments: