Thursday, January 25, 2007

Things that go bump in the night

Last night I tiptoed into the kids' bedroom after they'd fallen asleep to put away some of their freshly-folded laundry. Ordinarily I would have left it on the nearest level surface until morning, but I needed said surface for my laundry, so something had to move. I contemplated stacking mine on top of theirs, but I've been burned too many times by clothing avalanches. Hell if I want to fold things twice.

On the way out, I noticed Ben was precariously close to the edge of his bed. He was facing toward the middle, though, and he rarely falls out, so I decided not to risk waking the proverbial giant and let him be. Not two minutes later, I was climbing into bed myself when I heard a whump that was too loud to have been made by one of the cats, so I immediately headed back to check on Ben. Sure enough, there he was on the floor, sitting up but looking groggy, a bit like Senator John McCain at the State of the Union address the night before. Luckily, he climbed back into bed without fuss and was none the worse for wear.

Looks like it might be a while yet before we let one of the kids use the upper bunk.

No comments: